CALL FOR PROPOSALS
22nd SEAPAVAA CONFERENCE
6th -12th April 2018
“AV Archiving Beyond Boundaries”
The 21st SEAPAVAA Conference in Manila reimagined the shape of the audiovisual archive of the future as one that is against the overly determining forces that strain and bound it. From economic disparities to technological gaps, political differences to state divides, audiovisual archives have long operated within stringent demarcations and top-down homogenic limitations. Deocampo (2017) in his keynote lecture challenges these notions as he together with Conference participants envision a rhizomatic audiovisual archive of the future. One that is defined by the “horizontal, root-like spread of archives that respects the individuality of these institutions that still enjoy among themselves—as a community—a shared base of common and mutual values, resources, interests and aspirations.”
SEAPAVAA’s 22nd Conference takes this vision as we explore practices of audiovisual archiving that goes beyond boundaries. From open source technological innovations that disrupt market forces and commercial standards to international collaborations that cross cultural lines and bridges geopolitical differences, the Conference aims to question the conformity and fixity of the field while celebrating its shared diversity and reach.
Archival boundaries today are constantly being challenged and pushed on all fronts with implications to how we pragmatically handle and theoretically think of the archives. This boundaryless archives call for exchanges and openness while also possibly questioning long-held territorial complexities. Where do we locate national archives in a highly globalized world? How can the task of preservation be shared between audiovisual archivists and their various stakeholders? How can sectors for whom the archive is important be turned into an active support base? What must we do to keep supporters engaged? How can technology break down organizational walls while building networks? Can we articulate a set of common values despite having differing contexts and realities?
For audiovisual archives to go beyond boundaries is to also break walls towards creating and reaching communities. Archivists are being called to actively engage society through various forms of service and collaboration as movements and notions of community, participatory, and activist archiving are on the rise questioning the status quo. How do audiovisual archives provide access and opportunity to all specially for disenfranchised members of society? How can we make sure that a diversity of images, voices, and narratives are preserved in our collections? What can be the role of archives in community development? In what ways can archivists be agents of social justice, equality, and inclusivity?
SEAPAVAA invites all who are actively engaged with the conference theme – “AV Archiving Beyond Boundaries” – to submit proposals. We are looking for presentations that explore the following broad topics, cases, and ideas.
– Collection development for wider representation of and access for minority groups
– Integrating ephemera and non-audiovisual materials in enhancing audiovisual collections
– Collaborations with other collecting, memory, and cultural institutions
– Volunteerism and public engagement by, through, and/or for audiovisual archives
– International archival conflicts and collaborations
– Community, participatory, and activist archiving involving audiovisual collections
– Technological advancements that allow greater collaboration and openness
– Diversity and inclusivity in the audiovisual archiving community and profession
Other thematically related proposals are welcome for consideration.
Deadline of submission of proposals: 30 November 2017
Notification of accepted proposals: 15 December 2017
Deadline for confirmation to present: 12 January 2018
Symposium proper: 9-10 April 2018
- Submit proposal in English via e-mail as a MS Word file by 30 November 2017.
- The proposal should include:
- Title of proposal
- Abstract, maximum of 250 words
- Name and Institution (where applicable) of proponent(s)
- The SEAPAVAA Executive Council will review all submitted proposals. Notifications will be sent to accepted proponents by 15 December 2017.
- Accepted proponents need to confirm their ability to attend and present at the conference by 12 January 2018.
- The travel expenses, accommodation and subsistence of attending the 22nd SEAPAVAA Conference are the full responsibility of the Presenters of accepted proposals. All attendees, including Presenters, are required to register and pay the full conference registration fee.
Please contact any of the following persons to submit proposals or for any queries:
Michii Navato: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sanchai Chotirosseranee: email@example.com
Benedict Salazar Olgado: firstname.lastname@example.org
The 22nd SEAPAVAA Conference and General Assembly is hosted by the Film Archive (Public Organization) together with the Public Relations Department of Thailand. The Conference promises the definitive warmth and hospitality that SEAPAVAA is known for. For more information regarding registration details, programme, workshops, and hotel accommodations, visit http://seapavaaconference.com.